With the rooomScan app you can do 3D scans with your smartphone. In this article you will learn how to become a 3D creator.
1. Download the app
You can find the free rooomScan app in the iOS App Store and the Google Play Store:
- Download App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rooomscan-3d-scan-app/id1558147148
- Download Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rooom.scan
The rooomLiDAR app is also available for the latest Apple devices. It utilizes the LiDAR sensor of the device, which can capture the structures of objects even better. (Available up from iPhone 12 Pro/2020+ iPad Pro)
- Download LiDAR app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rooomlidar-3d-scan-app/id1601400129
2. rooom-Account verknüpfen
You need to log in with your rooomProducts or rooomSpaces account to be able to use your 3D models later on your website or in 3D spaces. A free account is fine to try out the app.
When you open the app, you will find a login screen. Enter the email and password of your rooom account. If you don't have an account yet, you can easily create one by registering.
How to scan an object?
1. Click on the plus sign at the bottom to start scanning.
2. You can select either media library or camera as the source of data. To start a 3D scan, select the camera. This way, a number of photos will be created, which will then be assembled into a 3D object. (If you already have several photos of your object, you can also upload them from the media library.)
3. Move the camera around the object to be scanned. Try to capture every possible perspective until the process ends automatically. Depending on the complexity of your object, this process can take a few minutes.
4. Enter a descriptive title for your scan and upload the files. You can also crop the background around your object.
5. Be patient - uploading the files and processing the 3D model can take some minutes.
6. You can now find your completed 3D model in the app and in the web version of your rooom account. Depending on the package you booked, you can view it in AR, embed it on your website or place it in 3D spaces.
Tips & tricks for optimized results
- Make sure that the object to be scanned stands clear and that there are not too many objects around it.
- Make sure the lighting is balanced. There should be no shadows on your object.
- Objects with transparent or reflective surfaces are not suitable for scanning.
- Your object should be at least 3 cm in size.
- The maximum distance for scanning should not exceed 5 meters.